For many years I have made most of my salad dressings. My general thought was they would be healthier, simply because there wouldn't be any added preservatives and less salt and sugar.
A year ago I was to bring coleslaw as my contribution to a social gathering. I didn't have a recipe dressing at the time so I went to the market to pick up a bottle.. Being an avid reader of the 'Ingredient List', I was mortified that I couldn't find a single bottle of this type of dressing that didn't contain High Fructose Corn Syrup!
Here is my adaption along with several other of my favorite dressings:
Coleslaw Dressing recipe makes 1 cup
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dill pickle juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil mayo
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 drop Black Pepper essential oil or 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Whisk together the buttermilk, milk, vinegar, pickle juice, mayo, salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes
- Pour enough over salad to coat and mix well.
Asian Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup sesame oil
- 1/2 cup Stevia in the Raw or sugar equivalent
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 drop Lemongrass Essential oil
- 1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
- In a bowl, whisk everything together until the sugar has dissolved.
- Refrigerate the dressing while preparing the salad.
- 1/4 c extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 T balsamic vinegar
- 1 T red wine vinegar (I have also used white wine vinegar or left over wine & they all work well)
- 1 T Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- 1 minced clove of garlic
- Fresh ground Sea salt & pepper to taste
Whisk all together. (I usually like to let it sit for 20 minutes to let the flavors blend and sometimes I will add a drop of essential oil like Oregano, Basil, Thyme or Rosemary to change it up a bit)
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 drop of Thyme, Basil or Rosemary essential oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of ground red pepper
- Put in a screw-top jar the oil, lemon juice, mustard, vinegar, salt, black & red peppers. Cover & shake until smooth and creamy.
- Use to serve over salad or cooked greens
Which one would you like to try first?
Blessings for Health, Joy and Laughter,